My Country Quest

Follow along our journey back to the land. This is where we will record our thoughts, musings and dealings with terrible dragons right here for your viewing pleasure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

Friday, July 01, 2005

April 3rd, 2005

I am going to post some journal entries from the beginning of our quest. Not the very beginning mind you, but the actual physical beginning of the journey. Enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just got home from the title company. I had anticipated being giddy from the event of the morning but I’m not. The reality of our choice has set in like a thunderstorm. We now have 2 mortgages. One on the house we’re living in until it sells, and as of this morning a second one on the land. Gulp. On $1800 a month we have to make $538 in mortgage payments, pay our utilities, feed and clothe the children plus Shawn and I. Double gulp. Thank the Lord we own our car and ¾ ton van - though gas on the latter costs easily as much as a payment would.

There was somewhat of a rush to buy this land because the price was right, it has water access, and we got owner financing at a 5 year term. We’ve been hoping and praying for just such an arrangement for nearly 5 years. The area is so glutted with people moving in from the city that it’s nearly impossible to find something like this so we jumped at it.

We’ve tightened our belts on the food budget but I’m insulin resistant & I just can’t eat rice and beans and expect to function properly. Hello loopy Mama! J This tightening has brought both Shawn & I to the startling reality that we are, like most Americans, one paycheck short of complete destitution. In what I can only ascribe to “divine vision” we have the Rabbitry up and running and should have fresh meat from them in about 6 weeks. The plan for that is to raise Holland Lops for pet stores - just enough to pay for feed for the meat rabbits. I found 3 pet stores eager to buy them from me at a reasonable profit but I’m seeing no why there are no other local breeders. Iris (one of the brood does) has kindled twice with only 2 kits to show for. At $20@ that will pay for the feed bill for now but we still have 6 weeks to go until we harvest our first crop of rabbit meat. My idea of a “no cash meat product” has a few glitches.

Our 25 Buff Orpington pullets are nearly feathered out and we’ve only lost 2. Pretty good considering that Joshua (7) has been in charge of their care from day one. He transferred them to the chicken tractor per my request a day too early as it turned out. Our mild April weather gave way to a cold snap and those 2 died in the 34 degree night. There is a heat lamp in there now. I hope to have eggs by fall. As of now we are spending $4 a week for fresh brown eggs from a lady that brings them in to the barber shop where Shawn works. It’s a blessing to have the eggs but I could do without spending the $4.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home