My Country Quest

Follow along our journey back to the land. This is where we will record our thoughts, musings and dealings with terrible dragons right here for your viewing pleasure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

Friday, July 01, 2005

April 12, 2005

One can hardly call our little 3.9 acres in a rural subdivision “wildness” but I just read this phrase by Henry David Thoreau in “Building Your Cabin Retreat”:

In wildness is the preservation of the world.

And though I highly doubt we will do much to have a “world-wide” preservation impact, on our little dirt farm, we intend to preserve our family well enough on it with God’s help. The neighbors no doubt think we are crazy - Mr. Jamison is here today to plow and he’s just as I write this turning under a bit more than half of our land for a garden. I’ve never understood why more people don’t do this, and instead choose to mow off perfectly fertile ground. But then I’ve never been one to do things for purely aesthetic reasons so I doubt my opinion is worth much. We have a Rabbitry in our garage and half of our city lot is filled with garden plots as the whim arose. J Amidst the traditional flower beds around the house I grow lettuce, radishes, comfrey for salves and rabbits. . . You get the idea. Utilitarian-chic is what I like to call our style. It’s pretty to the trained eye.

As I’m writing I see that our friendly plowman has offered a ride to Austin (12). He is having the time of his life today. The only thing better would be if he were behind the wheel himself. I’m reminded of a spring-fresh day just like this one not a few years ago when I was sitting on the fender of Dad’s old Oliver tractor. We had finished haying the cows and between the barn driveway and the house driveway we picked up speed. My hair flew back as Daddy & I exchanged a smiling glance. We were both hoping Mom didn’t see us I think because it would worry her to see me in such a precarious position. IT was worth the risk though and as we lurched to a stop I happily proclaimed that I’d never get married. I’d stay right here for the rest of my life thank you. . . though I’d have to build my own house someday. The dream of living close to the land in a house I built myself was birthed that day I think. Almost 13 years of marriage and 4 children later, I am seeing that dream come alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home