My Country Quest

Follow along our journey back to the land. This is where we will record our thoughts, musings and dealings with terrible dragons right here for your viewing pleasure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

September 6, 2005

Oh yeah - did I say “knitting”? Yes! I have finally mastered the knitting stitch! Soon I will attempt to learn to “purl” too so I can make some really wonderful things. Shawn was sweet enough to buy me a pair of knitting needles and the most luscious pink yarn for a Christmas poncho for our little niece Grace. If her’s turns out alright then I have 3 more to make. For our 3 other nieces! I heard from a fellow blogger that these books are great for teaching oneself to knit and I couldn’t agree more. If you’re looking to learn to knit check out these 2 books (in order) :

One little tip for fellow knitters: If you’re just getting started like me, and are intimidated by all of the big projects in the pattern books why not try your hand at making doll-sized pieces? I taught myself to “increase” using the above book and ended up with a pint-size doll shawl! I added fringe (another skill needed for adult size projects) and there I did it! And it won’t end up in a scrap pile either since Abby’s American Girl doll will look adorable in it for Christmas. And casting on and getting a really good feel for the yarn and needles in your hand is fun when you end up with a something useful. I have a couple of dishcloths now too made from cotton thread I had been crocheting with. The knit ones are so much nicer looking. I just can’t stand to “practice” things like this. I truly can’t stand the waste of such a notion. So I have to MAKE something from the VERY beginning of learning a new household skill. I just have to. :) I’m sure some of you out there can relate. :)
She seeketh wool, and flax,
and worketh willingly with her hands.
Proverbs 31:13

Isn’t it interesting that 5 of the 31 verses in the beloved Proverbs 31 passage speaks of skills using cloth or fiber of some kind? That’s almost 20% of the passage on godly womanhood devoted to sewing/creative skills having to do with USEFUL items!!!! WOW! Learning to knit takes on new perspective huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home