My Country Quest

Follow along our journey back to the land. This is where we will record our thoughts, musings and dealings with terrible dragons right here for your viewing pleasure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Puttin' By

I don't know whether to call this entry "puttin' by" or "bye-bye Puttin' By". Our garden is a terrible mess. There are weeds everywhere there isn't a foot of mulch. Funny how the weeds ALWAYS make good...It has been very dry this summer here in the Midwest and our gardens are paying for it.

  • The corn didn't set well at all so we have short ears, one on a stalk instead of 2 and they aren't filled out all the way either.
  • Bugs had Mardi-Gras on our green beans so there are very few of those.
  • The tomatoes look good though we don't have any ripe ones YET!!!
  • Our potatoes are ready to dig but I'm not sure yet where I'm going to store them. I had supposed to can them, a horrible waste of energy and space to store potatoes. Recently though, the thought of dehydrating them has crossed my mind.

Speaking of dehydrating, I found an awesome forum for sharing canning and preserving recipes. Sugar Mountain Homesteading Board I got the idea to dry the yellow squash my mother in law gave me. HUGE SUCCESS!!! I salted it lightly with sea salt and they taste JUST like potato chips! No kidding! Funny though how 12 pounds of squash can be dried to fit into a half-pint jar! LOL It's gonna take alot of squash to get a pound of "chips". hehehehe I'll probably used them in stews and casseroles rather than as snacks. Maybe if I had abigger dehydrator I'd do it for snacks. This way, my little "Harvest Master" dehydrator is barely adequate. Maybe next year?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home