My Country Quest

Follow along our journey back to the land. This is where we will record our thoughts, musings and dealings with terrible dragons right here for your viewing pleasure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

June 22, 2006

We had a bit of a crisis today with the baby chicks. After their arrival last week we have lost 4, which isn't bad and considering they sent us 12 extra with the 100 chick "Fry Pan Special" we're doing fine. This morning though it was looking like rain and OOPS! I forgot we were low on rabbit feed last night. There wasn't enough left in the barrel so I hollered out for the kdis to come get in the van to run in to the feed store. I told JOshua to cover up the chicks and he could finish their feed and watering when we got back. We got back and he hadn't either covered up the chicks OR the feed barrel. Almost 50 pounds of chick grower ruined, and half the chicks were lying on their backs, their poor, sad feet twitching from hypothermia. Not one to under-react, I cried at the sight of them, sure we would lose the half that were lying semi-concious on the wire brooder floor.

We grabbed a Rubbermaid container (did I ever tell you how much I love Rubbermaid containers?) and put a layer of sawdust in the bottom. In the box and into the hosue they went to twitch under a lamp in hopes of reviving them. I called a friend (My resident "Chicken Lady") and she said it's if-y. They might make it, they might not. Within an hour though they were beginning to gluff up, peck at the sawdust, and we laid to rest only 1.

A big storm has moved in today and I do hope they don't get leaks in the brooder roof. It is less-than satisfactory but the whole thing came about with little advance planning. When we found the special we bought 'em. Lebanon, Missouri - http://www.cacklehatchery.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home