My Country Quest

Follow along our journey back to the land. This is where we will record our thoughts, musings and dealings with terrible dragons right here for your viewing pleasure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Chicken Little... and less and less..

Lost chicks last evening at about sunset. The neighbors dogs were here and apparently during the downpour or shortly thereafter they dug a hole to get their paws into the chicken tractor. We lost 19 altogether. HOw they got so may so fast is beyond me. I don't understand it but that's how many are gone. I spoke with one of the neighbors and he was very apologetic, promised to keep his dog chained while he was gone, etc. Then he turend up later to offer some meat from a recently butchered hog to compensate for the loss of meat. Then AGAIN he came by with offers of concrete blocks and 2x6's to dog-proof the tractor from the other dogs. I'm not quite sure who they belong to but one of them belongs to the lady across the road who has caused us all the trouble with the Health Department. I will not speak to her about her dog. She is crass, ungodly, wickedly vulgar with her language (we can sometimes hear her screaming at her husband from here). I will not expose myself to the abuse I would likely encounter if I confront her about her dogs. Not sure how I will approach it, but I will think of some way of handling the situation.

We are down to about 65 of the 100. They were cheap and I figured on losing alot just because it's the first season, new pens, etc. It still stings though... I had counted them in the freezer for winter already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home