My Country Quest

Follow along our journey back to the land. This is where we will record our thoughts, musings and dealings with terrible dragons right here for your viewing pleasure.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

In the course of human events...

It becomes necessary for a family to make drastic changes in order to follow the Lord. Our life, as we now live it, is one of those changes. We are buying our home and will own it in 9 years. No more monthly payments after that. There are many factors that faciliated the decision to move in this quickly, to live this primitively, to do without so many of the modern comforts. Truth be told - and as many others who have chosen a similar path can attest - this decision was among the easiest we have had to make and the hardest to hold onto. This is difficult. I ask myself almost daily now, "What are we trying to prove? Why are we doing this? Why don't I get a job again? I forget..." Indeed I do forget these core issues when I am in the depths of living out this conviction.
Most people don't understand. We have a few well-wishers, fellow pilgrims, but in general people think along these lines:
"Why doesn't she go to work? I mean... they are doing without too much."
"Why would Shawn expect her to do without so many things? Why doesn't he get a second/better job?"
"Those poor kids... they have no choice in the matter."
We live with the threat of DFS being called on us while we wait for our sewer system to be installed, I work my fingers to the bone every day on the house "work" plus try to cook good meals, I keep up on the laundry and hang it all on a clothesline to dry, I keep the garden in shape. This is hard work.
The children do all of the yardwork. The boys mow, trim, rake, spread straw on my garden for me. They haul out the trash from the kitchen, make sure the animals are all taken care of, keep an eye out for stray dogs, Austin babysits for us if we need to get supplies that won't fit in the van with the children. Abby takes care of the trash in the yard and cleans out the van. Luke turns the water hose on and off 20 times a day.
And Shawn... Shawn goes to work each day and lives with the guilt that he is in air-conditioning and we are not. He bears the financial burden for all of this while facing ridicule and judgement for doing so. He comes home, content to have us all here together and works on the house every evening. He is settled with the fact that he will probably be working this "part-time job" for several more years. All without pay and without encouragement from anyone but us.
What has happened to the New Testament church? The one that "bears one another's burdens"? I'm not talking about financial help - my Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills, why would I need money from the church? I am talking about a "word in due season". I am talking about encouragement and edification. I am talking about having a local body support such drastic measures at walking out our faith. I am speaking of the Body of Christ. Where is it?
Maybe it is just me. I am depressed, as the world would put it. "People are busy. They can't stop what they are doing to call and see how you all are doing. Get real Kelly." Of course, people are busy. And our lives are flying by at such a speed that we can't even see the scenery. That is one of the reasons that motivated me personally to start down this road. A simpler life. Time to focus on the children and Shawn. Time to spend with the Lord that wasn't rushed or hurried. Now I realize that most people do not have to take such "drastic measures" to get this accomplished. Most people can probably figure all of this out in Suburbia, USA. I could not. I tried. For me, a house in the country with a garden and a few chickesn was part of what soothes me. Being closer to the creation brings me closer to the Creator. And knowing we will be in bonds (debt) for 1/3 the time our other mortgage put us in frees my mind even further.
Wow... this has been a real rant and I didn't mean to go so far with it! WOW! Bless you if you have read this far. Occasionally I feel the need to explain to nay-sayers (and myself) why we are doing this. Again. It helps me stay focused and not be discouraged. So again, thank you. Bless you for reading so much and getting so little out of it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wouldn't apologize! you didn't say anything wrong, you were just expressing your feelings. that's what a blog is for! :)

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home